Looking to help?
Updated: May 12, 2020
Wage Replacement & Housing Rights
For landlord-tenant, and other civil law questions, contact Sierra Community House Mediation and Legal Assistance Program at 530-587-2513.
If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance claim.
If you’re unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), or if your child’s school is closed, and you have to miss work to be there for them, you can file a claim.
The EDD launched a new call center operation to assist customers. Call 833-978-2511 seven days a week, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., if you need technical help with accessing UI OnlineSM, help with receiving an EDD Customer Account Number, and other general UI questions. Representatives will not have access to your claim or payment information. UI Online is still the fastest way to file a claim. For help with a claim or payment information, call 1-800-300-5616.
If you’re self-employed, visit the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance page for more information on this new federally funded program being established. If you received a UI award notice that shows $0 in wages, you may still qualify for benefits. We may need more information from you to process your claim. Visit the Unemployment Insurance Benefits section of the Coronavirus 2019 FAQs for more information.
For more resources please visit: https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_
Information and resources for immigrant communities: California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation
To explore local job opportunities visit Truckee Jobs Collective.
The Save Small Business Fund is a grantmaking initiative of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce offering short-term relief for small employers in the United States. It is funded by corporate and philanthropic partners with a collective effort to provide $5,000 grants to as many small employers as possible.
- Employ between 3-20 people
- Located in an economically vulnerable community
- Financially harmed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you are a business owner, here are some helpful resources:
- Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz)
- CalOSHA Guidance on Requirements to Protect Workers from Coronavirus
- California’s Labor & Workforce Development Agency, Resources for Employers and Workers
- National Small Business Association, Resources for Small Business on COVID-19
- Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Tahoe Truckee Unified School District
TTUSD is providing meal services for pickup at selected school sites from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Monday – Friday (unless a snow day is called) and for delivery as well to several neighborhood locations in Truckee and North Lake Tahoe. All meals are delivered in marked TTUSD vans. If you have any questions, please call 582-2528, email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit their website for more details.
Sierra Community House
To sign up for food delivery please leave a message at: 775-545-4083 or send an email to: email@example.com
Sierra Senior Services
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Sierra Senior Services will deliver lunch to any senior 60 and older in Truckee and the North Lake Tahoe area. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Boys & Girls Club of North Lake Tahoe
BGCNLT is supplementing efforts by local school authorities and hunger relief agencies by providing a “Grab-and-Go” or “Take-and-Bake” style dinner that includes protein, grain, veggie, fruit and milk (optional) to local families in Truckee, Incline Village, and Kings Beach. For more information call:
Mental Health / Crisis Intervention / Family Support
- Local Crisis Hotline: 1-800-736-1060
- National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255.
- Suicide Crisis Text Line: CA – Text “START” to 741741; NV – Text “ANSWER” to 839863
- MH Warmline: 1-855-845-7415
- Spanish-language Suicide Lifeline: 1-888-628-9454
- Spanish-language Lifeline website
- SanaMente Website
- Spanish-language SAMHSA materials
Tahoe Truckee Suicide Prevention Coalition www.tahoelifeline.
You Can Help
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern Sierra is in need of mentors! Vulnerable children and families are facing increased anxiety, stress, fear, and worry. Young people are likely to bear the heaviest burdens of trauma and economic fallout and Big Brothers Big Sisters are innovating and adapting service delivery to ensure kids stay virtually connected to their mentors. BBBS is an essential service and will continue to provide services to youth through this pandemic- please consider volunteering!. Serving El Dorado and Nevada Counties and North Lake Tahoe.
For more info visit their website or call 530-626-1222 or email email@example.com.
- Sierra Senior Services is providing meal delivery services to local community members and the numbers are increasing. Many of these individuals are isolated and could use a little community connection. Please consider writing a brief letter/card/note to a senior and Sierra Senior Services will deliver it when they drop off meals. Letters may be addressed to “Dear neighbor” or whatever you see fit! Send letters to: Sierra Senior Services,10040 Estates Drive, Truckee, CA 96161
- 2020 Census Help: Have some time on your hands? Looking for English and Spanish speaking volunteers to help KidZone call local residents to provide information on the 2020 Census. Contact Nataly@kidzonemuseum.org for more information:
The Emergency Respite Day Center needs:
- Unopened travel size shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, hand cream
- Disinfectant wipes & Lysol spray
- Individually wrapped Grab & Go food items such as granola bars, cookies, beef jerky, fruit cups….etc.
Donation requests to be left in the Red Donation Bin out front of Church of the Mountains at 10079 Church Street, then text/call 775-690-7694 when they are there.
TTCF has intentionally established this fund with flexibility in mind to ensure that these resources may support our community as conditions, circumstances, and needs change throughout this crisis and beyond.
Southwest Gas has suspended any service disconnections for nonpayment and late charges indefinitely.
Those needing financial assistance with their Southwest Gas bill may contact Sierra Community House at familysupport@
For those who have lost their job or are experiencing financial crises, income qualification is not necessary. The limits of $400 per customer for each 12 month period remain in place.
Emergency Respite Day Center
The Emergency Respite Day Center is open and it provides guests a warm meal, shower, ability to do laundry, health “check-in”, access to counseling, and community.
Where: Lower level of the Veterans Hall: 10214 High Street, Truckee
When: Open Tuesday – Saturday, each day 10am – 2pm, through the month of April
Sierra Community House
Crisis Intervention, family strengthening, hunger relief and legal services – all are available through phone and electronic communication.
COVID-19 Hotlines to Hospitals
Call if you are experiencing fever, cough, or shortness of breath – for more information or when to seek care.
- Tahoe Forest Hospital System – (530) 582-3450 (Tahoe-Truckee Area)
This special hotline is staffed daily, 8 am to 5 pm.
The Pine Street Café is closed to the public until further notice.
- Barton Health – (530) 600-1999 (West Shore and South Lake Tahoe Area)
You may experience a hold time of up to 10 minutes or longer.
- Placer County Health and Human Services
- CalFresh, Medical, Cash aid: www.mybenefitscalwin.org
or call 888.385.5160
Women-Infants-Children-WIC or call 530.546.1982
- Substance Use Services: Call 530-889-7240, option 5 (when prompted) or attend one of the screening clinics
- Placer County Adult Crisis & Intake 24-Hour Phone Line: 916-787-8860 or 1-888-886-5401
- Placer County Children System of Care (Children’s Behavioral Health and Child Welfare (abuse and neglect reporting) 916-872-6549 or toll-free 866-293-1940
- CalFresh, Medical, Cash aid: www.mybenefitscalwin.org
- Nevada County Health and Human Services:
- Customers in need of Cash Assistance, Food Assistance-Calfresh, and Medi-Cal Call 530-582-7803 or apply on-line.
- Nevada County Adult Behavioral Health and Substance Use Services:
Contact Laura Zettler-Mann: 530-913-4156
- Nevada County Children’s Behavioral Health and Spanish Speaking Behavioral Health: 530-913-0558
- Nevada County Public Health Clinic and WIC: 530-582-7814
- Town of Truckee
- Sierra Business Council (Small Business Development Center)
- Placer County
- Nevada County
- El Dorado County
- State of California