Regional Housing Needs Assessment
2016 Housing Study
An unprecedented collaboration
Accommodating the housing needs of a resort community with evolving demographics through times of financial uncertainly has been a substantial challenge for North Tahoe-Truckee. A variety of efforts have informed the separate housing elements of the Placer County, Nevada County and the Town of Truckee General Plans. In 2014, the came to an agreement that a regional baseline had to be established in order to implement strategies supporting all Truckee and North Lake Tahoe communities.
In November 2014, the Community Collaborative of Tahoe Truckee hosted a housing conversation, moving local leaders to fund and plan a regional study. By Fall 2015, funding coalesced under the guidance of the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation. BAE Urban Economics was engaged to analyze the regional workforce housing market. To understand the whole picture of our region’s housing issues, TTCF brought in outreach partners to collect, record and share the unique perspective of our residents, front line workers and community leaders. This community outreach portion of the Project will lend depth to the BAE’s analysis and proposed strategies.
The regional housing needs assessment was funded by Town of Truckee, Workforce Housing Association of Truckee Tahoe, Nevada County and Placer County.
- This project is regional in scale.
- We believe a regional study will provide a collective baseline for the region to agree and act upon.
- The study will represent all aspects of housing issues in the North Lake Tahoe region.
- Together we will work to ensure all voices are heard and integrated.
- We will keep an eye on solutions and innovations in the study process.