2016 Regional Housing Study
Housing Study Now Available
- Community Report Card: Housing (Issue Brief) – As part of CCTT’s Community Report Card Series, the one-page Issue Brief highlights the findings from the Regional Housing Study and will be used by organizations, agencies, and the community at large to identify housing solutions and track our progress over time.
- Community Report Card: Housing (Issue Brief- Spanish)
- Housing Solutions Strategy Document – A strategy document that will serve as the baseline of conversations related to the concept of a Regional Housing Council and Housing Solutions Fund proposed by TTCF.
- Housing Resource Guide (English) – A compendium of resources for those seeking: rental, home purchase, or home repair assistance.
- Housing Resources Guide (Spanish)
- Complete Housing Study Report
The Regional Housing Study has been completed. We are extremely grateful to our resource, community outreach, and our media partners for making this possible through your time and commitment to this project and region. We also want to thank the thousands of community members who participated in public forums, workforce surveys, and focus groups, in addition to those of you who shared your personal housing stories. This has been an immense undertaking by all of North Tahoe – Truckee, as well as our consultants bae area urban economics, and we are happy to share with you all the final Housing Study presentation below.
The Final Housing Study Presentation is over 400 pages and includes the Executive Summary, which you can also view as a separate document. The breadth of the Study includes an assessment of current workforce and tourism trends, the housing market, housing policies, and assistance programs. The document then shares case studies of our sister mountain destination communities, local upcoming housing proposals, and future workforce demand estimates. bae urban economics completes the study with suggestions of program and policy solutions that could help our region solve our complex housing needs.
Study History and Introduction
Accommodating the housing needs of a resort community with evolving demographics through times of financial uncertainly has been a substantial challenge for the Truckee North Lake Tahoe region, as it has been in other communities. A variety of efforts have informed the separate housing elements of the Placer County, Nevada County and the Town of Truckee General Plans, but all agree that a regional baseline must be established in order to implement strategies supporting all Truckee and North Lake Tahoe communities.
In November 2014, the Community Collaborative of Tahoe Truckee hosted a housing conversation, moving local leaders to fund and plan a regional study. By Fall 2015, funding coalesced under the guidance of the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation. BAE Urban Economics was engaged to analyze the regional workforce housing market. To understand the whole picture of our region’s housing issues, TTCF brought in outreach partners to collect, record and share the unique perspective of our residents, front line workers and community leaders. This community outreach portion of the Project will lend depth to the BAE’s analysis and proposed strategies.
The Project is funded by Town of Truckee, Workforce Housing Association of Truckee Tahoe, Nevada County and Placer County.
- This project is regional in scale.
- We believe a regional study will provide a collective baseline for the region to agree and act upon.
- The study will represent all aspects of housing issues in the North Lake Tahoe region.
- Together we will work to ensure all voices are heard and integrated.
- We will keep an eye on solutions and innovations in the study process.
In the Media
TTCF Announces a Housing Solutions Fund – What happens after the study? Partners focus on solutions. (Sierra Sun, 7/7/2016)
- Housing Crisis: The Missing Middle – Housing tales from the middle class. (Moonshine Ink and Amy Westervelt, 10/14/2016).
- Housing Crisis: Little Boxes on the Hillside – Moonshine Ink rounds up major development projects and their associated affordable housing requirements to see where they stand now. (Moonshine Ink, 8/12/2016)
- TTCF Announces a Housing Solutions Fund – What happens after the study? Partners focus on solutions. (TTCF in Sierra Sun, 7/7/2016)
- Housing Crisis: Housing Solutions – Making the Pieces Fit (Moonshine Ink, 5/13/2016)
- Regional Housing Study Reveals Sobering Statistics – A glimpse into the survey results of 1700 workforce participants. (TTCF in Sierra Sun, 4/11/2016)
- Housing Crisis: The Tip of What Could Be – If the local housing crisis isn’t fixed, severe consequences could occur. (Moonshine Ink, 4/8/2016)
- Where have all the Employees Gone? – Is the housing crisis making it difficult to keep a high-quality employees at our local businesses? (Moonshine Ink, 3/11/2016)
- Housing Crisis: Tahoe Housing History – How has the history of housing and development shaped Lake Tahoe, and how has it contributed to our current housing crisis? (Moonshine Ink, 3/11/2016)
- Housing Crisis: Out of Reach – Tahoe’s housing tales show the severity of the region’s housing crisis. (Moonshine Ink, 2/11/2016)
- Regional Housing Study Announcement – Regional organizations partner to implement a regional housing study. (TTCF in Sierra Sun, 12/9/2015)
- As part of the Housing Study, a 2016 Workforce Housing Survey was conducted. Some preliminary findings are summarized in these tables.
- BAE Urban Economics: North Tahoe Regional Workforce Housing Needs Assessment PDF
Questions? Contact Ashley Cooper at email@example.com.