In a recent Forest Futures Salon, TTCF along with local fire districts and wildfire NGOs shared information on new and existing programs that support community members in managing privately owned properties. Included was an overview of the new Truckee North Tahoe Forest Management Program (TNTFMP) that was funded by CAL FIRE and is being managed by TTCF. Additional information was provided from Truckee Fire Protection District, Placer Resource Conservation District and Fire Safe Council of Nevada County.
Here are some of the questions we covered:
What is TNTFMP?
- A pilot program, funded by CAL FIRE and managed by TTCF, with the goal of treating 450 acres of private, non industrial forest land in the Tahoe Truckee region. Funding will be available through a competitive application process for technical assistance and project implementation.
What does the timeline look like?
- TTCF is putting together a steering committee to help oversee the process. The first round application is anticipated to open in the Spring 2023 with the goal of projects being implemented in Summer/Fall. There will likely be 2-3 rounds of competitive application over the next three years.
What is the territory this program focuses on?
- See map here for program boundaries. Spans North Tahoe across Placer & Nevada Counties.
Will applicants be able to apply for both technical assistance and implementation dollars?
- Yes, but whether they apply for both or just implementation dollars will depend on what stage their projects are in. Technical assistance exists for applicants looking to plan a project or complete the environmental compliance process.
Can you define non-industrial?
- Grant funds cannot be used on commercial timber lands, or lands that exist for the purpose of selling logs or timber. Local businesses and individuals can apply.
Do you need to be a full time resident?
- No, you just need to own the land.
Will there be assistance for the application?
- Yes, TTCF will host a webinar to help with the application process and Anne will be available to answer additional questions throughout.
Do you need to register as a qualified contractor?
- No, as long as you are qualified to do the work in our region, with necessary training and certificates, you are eligible.
Can a HOA apply?
- Yes, as long as the property is greater than 3 acres.
Can I be added to a contact list to receive updates on the program?
- Yes, click the link here to complete the contact information form.
For additional questions:
- Truckee North Tahoe Forest Management Program (TNTFMP), Contact: Anne Graham (email@example.com)
- Measure T/Truckee Fire, Contact: Dillon Sheedy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Placer Resource Conservation District, Contact: Allison Erny (email@example.com)
- Fire Safe Council of Nevada County, Contact: Jamie Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)